Thursday, February 7, 2013

What is in a Name?

What is in a Name?
I have often taught or even preached about the importance of a NAME.  Over and over in the Bible we see this to be true.  God names Adam, and he lets Adam name all of the animals.  When we give something a name it shows that it belongs to you.  Adam(man)  had dominion over the animals on the earth, so God shows this by letting Adam name the animals.  We also see over and over where God changes a name of a person to show a new identity, like with Abram to Abraham, Saul to Paul.  We even see King nebuchadnezzar tries to change the name of Daniel to try and change his identity.  This name change wasn't a positive thing but was a way to take away Daniels identity as a child of God's.  With Paul his name change was a away to put away old ways and to start a fresh new ministry for His new found Savior, Jesus.  There is a great meaning behind a name.  We name our children we give them that special name, it shows ownership, or a since of belonging.

Aloizs for the last several weeks has been asking me to give him a new name.  He doesn't want to be called Aloizs anymore.  I at first thought he was referring to a middle name because he doesn't have one.  But I later figured out he doesn't want the name Aloizs.  I ask him what name he wanted, and he said "No mom I want you to give me a name."  Can I just say that all the years of teaching God's Word and about the importance of a name and an identity all came back to my remembrance.  It has melted my heart for sure.  Every day he would ask me what his name will be, and I have told him I would have to think about it.  Until finally it came back to my remembrance a name that I have had for a very long time.

11 years ago today, Morgan my youngest was born.  February 7th.  On this day Tony and I anticipated the birth of our child, not knowing if it was a boy or a girl.  We had a girls name and a boys name ready on this day.  Of course we had our beautiful baby girl that we named Morgan.  But I had a boys name, that is If I ever had another son I would call him Mitchell.  Well 11 years later I have a new son,  that is wanting me to name him.  God brings this name back to my remembrance and today 11 years later I get to use this name and name Aloizs, Mitchell.

Aloizs/Mitch everyday tells me he loves me at least 50 or more times a day.  He tells me he loves God, He loves Jesus, He loves Dad, He loves his brother and sisters, he loves our church, He loves the dogs, and then in 20 more messages in a row He will tell me that He loves me over and over.  He is the most loving child, full of love.  There isn't a more perfect name for him, the meaning of Mitchell is Who is like God, and I got to thinking about that God is love.  He is like God in that he is so full of Love.  

A child that hasn't been shown very much love in his life could be so full of love has to come from a Heavenly Father, God has poured this love on Him and it over flows out of him.  

I have met a new friend on Facebook that knows Aloizs from going to Latvia on mission trips over that past several years.  I told him about Aloizs wanting his name changed, and he said he remembers him and another boy talking about that in the past.  That they wanted to change their name, and they did several times picking around.  He said he is eager to change his identity, to put his past of Latvia behind him.  He also said you see this in children that have a very painful past.  Aloizs is very serious about doing this, and told me he wants me to call him Mitchell now.  That he doesn't like the name Aloizs because of Latvia.  

So from now on his name is Mitch, a precious child sent to us from God, full of God's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment